1. Monday October 1st 2012 is Clean Shaven Day. Participants will shave their faces clean of any and all facial hair. This includes, but is not limited to, Mustaches, beards, goatees, muttonchops, chinstraps, soul patches, sideburns that extend below the top of the earlobe, and Van Dykes.
2. For the duration of one month (4 weeks) sweet Mustaches will be grown for the world to behold. During that time, there will be weekly Mustache Checkpoint Days, at bars throughout New York. All involved will shave their mugs on Checkpoint Days, save for the area above their upper lips. No fair growing a full beard or goatee for a month, and then shaving down to just the Mustache. The Mustache must only stretch from one corner of your mouth to the other corner – no handlebars, soul patches, fu-manchus or sideburns.
4. The use of growth hormones and coloring agents is not condoned or sanctioned by Mustaches for Kids. We feel that these Mustache Growing Performance Enhancers violate the spirit of the contest.
5. Though the Mustache Checkpoints are not mandatory – Mustaches for Kids believes in the Honor System – they are a great opportunity to encourage your Mustache brothers-in-arms during the growing season. Mustaches for Kids representatives will be available at all Checkpoints to address any Mustache questions or concerns. And we will drink beer.
6. With such burgeoning Mustaches firmly in place, fundraising should be a walk in the park. The minimum Pledge Goal for each Grower should be $50.00 for a DonorsChoose.org project, but in no way should anyone be discouraged from participating in the contest because he doesn’t think he can make the Pledge Goal – $5 or $500, it goes to a good cause. Please be aware of and obey all local laws when soliciting donations.
7. When all is said and done, a Mustache Competition will be held on Saturday November 3rd, where a panel of judges will select the Sweetest ‘Stache using a complicated and very scientific set of criteria. Race, creed, nationality, sexual orientation, and popularity will NOT be taken into consideration. Total dollar amounts raised by individual Growers WILL be; this is for charity, after all. Much like the Mustache Checkpoints, the final judging should foster a party-like atmosphere to celebrate the fruits of everyone’s Mustache labors.
8. While the Growing Season will end after four weeks, there is no deadline for fundraising. Checks should be made payable to DonorsChoose.org, with “Mustaches for Kids” written in the Memo portion. All proceeds from the Mustaches for Kids Mustache Growing Contest and Fundraiser go to benefit one of the teacher-submitted projects from DonorsChoose.org, a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization which funds teacher-submitted projects to improve local public schools one classroom at a time. Donations submitted online or by check are tax-deductible. You can hand off checks to a Mustache Representative at the Mustache Checkpoints, the ‘Stache Bash, or mail them to:Mustaches for Kids 101 Bergen Street, Apt 1R Brooklyn, NY 11201
Checks made out to DonorsChoose.org in 2011 are eligible to be claimed as tax deductions for this year, even if the check is not cashed until 2012.
9. Finally, while merchandising is encouraged, please do not violate any local, state, or national statutes. For example, sales tax regulations may apply. And all profits must be donated as well.
10. Good luck and good growing.